It’s cold as winter here in the Midwest (despite the season) and so I thought a good cool weather’s day look was fitting. Every girl deserves a great beauty moment and Mulan’s happens early in her story. Here’s how you can replicate her crisp spring blossom makeup!
– This look has a mixture of high and low maintenance elements. The face makeup is very low maintenance, as it’s important for the skin to retain its natural glow. If you have dry skin, apply your regular moisturizer. If not, apply Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturizer. To create your own tinted moisturizer at home, mix your face cream with a squirt of foundation. It is less heavy than applying foundation alone, and provides more sheer coverage.
– Cover any and all blemishes and darkness with Laura Mercier’s Secret Camoflauge concealer. If finding the right concealer has been difficult, try using a salmon based corrector along with it! The Secret Camoflauge comes with two creams to mix and match your perfect shade. Bobbi Brown also sells similar products. You’ll notice Mulan’s features are very delicate- to imitate this look, make sure you use concealer around the corners of your nose and blend well.
– Using a big fluffy brush (i.e. a kabuki brush), dust on a small amount of translucent powder to reduce shine.
– Suck in your cheeks and apply MAC Powder Blush in Gingerly (or another tan-based blush) in the hollows under your cheekbones. This will provide some contour as well as a faint sunkissed glow. Be sure to pick a blush that is a shade deeper than your natural skintone but doesn’t have strong color elements (i.e. pink); this way the shade won’t clash with your red lipstick.
– The eye makeup here is very simple. Using an angled brush, apply a thin line of black gel eyeliner (MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack) along the upper eyelid. Following the angle of your lower lashline, create a small, thin wing at the edges. If you are proficient with applying false eyelashes, go for it! If not, apply a thickening mascara (MAC Plush Lash Mascara).
– Mulan has rich, black eyebrows, so if yours are sparse, lightly fill them in with an eyebrow pencil (MAC Eye Brows in Stud). The pencil should not be pitch black or you will look frightening; look for one that is dark brown. You could also use a dark brown eyeshadow for the same purpose.
– The perfect red lipstick for any princess would-be is NYX’s Round Lipstick in Snow White (fitting name, right?). It is an exquisite blood red, flattering on most skintones. It is somewhat blue-based and so will keep your teeth looking white. I suggest first lining lips with a burgundy, plum or dark red pencil (I use NYX’s Plum Lip Liner). Apply the lipstick in one generous layer and use a lip brush to carefully fill in the edges. I do not recommend tissue blotting with this lipstick, as it might adulterate the color. After applying, insert your pointer finger between your lips, purse, and pull it out. This will prevent the lipstick from bleeding onto your teeth.
And that’s that! This polished look is perfect for any chilly day when you want to feel like a lady. If you want to know how to get Mulan’s look from later in the film, well, sorry. That glow you can only achieve after you’ve saved the motherland from warrior Huns.