Rani Mukherjee’s favorite makeup artist is Mickey Contractor for MAC- and I can see why. He made her look like an angel (albeit of the philandering variety) in the 2006 Bollywood film “Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna”, a story of adulterous lovers directed by Karan Johar.
Rani’s look in the film is one of my all-time favorites. I particularly loved her heartbreak outfits. You know, the long trenchcoats and fur-lined jackets she wears when she is meandering through snowy fields moping over her lost beloved? Contractor gave her a muted, smoldering look throughout the movie that fit the mood of the story- it was somber and yet glamorous, soft and yet untouchable.
Here are my recommendations for replicating her look! I’ve incorporated products that Mickey Contractor informed Vogue India he loves to use for Indian smoky eye makeup looks in particular. Another great place to find information on Mickey Contractor’s likes and dislikes is this blog. Check it out!
And now, on to the breakdown…
– After application of your regular moisturizer/sunscreen, use a sponge to apply your foundation (MAC Mineralize Foundation SPF 15). I recommend this cream-based foundation for its incredible hydrating effects and natural finish. This foundation looks beautiful on both young and old skin.
– Using a concealer brush, thoroughly conceal under-eye circles and blemishes with your concealer. Contractor has often said that his favorite MAC product is the MAC Select Cover-Up concealer. I personally have found this liquid concealer good for the undereyes (but I prefer a cream concealer on darkness/blemishes).
– Set the foundation and concealer with a loose powder matching your skin color (MAC Select Sheer/Loose Powder) for a mattifying effect.
– Apply a warm pink blush (MAC Powder Blush in Mocha) to the tops of your cheekbones. If you so desire, apply a small amount of bronzing powder or tan-based blush in the hollows under your cheekbones.
– Line the upper and lower waterline with a black gel eyeliner (MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack).
– To create a smoky effect, run a small amount of a medium-dark brown eye shadow (MAC Eye Shadow in Folie) on the lower half of your eyelid. Blend very well upward. Apply a small amount of the same shadow along your lower lashline. If you have close-set eyes, keep the eyeshadow on the outer third of your eyes, further away from the inner corners.
– Line the upper lashline with the black gel eyeliner. Over the black line, smudge on a little black eye shadow (MAC Eye Shadow in Carbon) to diffuse the harshness of the look.
– Curl your lashes and apply a thickening mascara (MAC Plush Lash Mascara).
– To get Rani’s nude-pink lips, line your lips with a tan-pink lip liner (MAC Lip Pencil in Spice, described as “pink cinnamon stick”).
– Apply a “pure neutral pink” lipstick (MAC Lipstick in Viva Glam V).
Now go and face the world looking gorgeous like Rani! Wonder why half the internet is spelling “smoky” as “smokey”! And if you are up for melodrama, watch the song below!