Actress Amrita Rao looked divine as the bride-to-be of Shahid Kapoor in the 2006 Bollywood family film “Vivah” (“Vivaah”). She played the part of the Indian bride preparing for her wedding to perfection: she was demure, conservative, beautiful, delicate. Here’s how you can get the look for yourself!
– Amrita’s makeup in Vivah is high-coverage. Use a concealer (MAC Studio Finish Concealer) to cover any blemishes or darkness. Also apply concealer to the nostrils to draw attention away from the nose.
– Apply foundation (MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation) in a stippling (dotting and swirling) motion.
– Set foundation and concealer with a sheer colored powder (MAC Select Sheer / Loose Powder).
– To the tops of your cheekbones, SPARINGLY apply a matte coppery beige-toned powder blush like MAC Powder Blush in Sincere.
– Line the lower waterline with a black gel eyeliner (MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack).
– Amrita’s eyeshadows vary throughout the film, but the idea remains the same: apply eyeshadows in shades of pink and bronze. Use MAC Eye Shadows in Expensive Pink and Honesty paired with darker colors like MAC Eye Shadows in Mulch and Antiqued. Wear the lighter colors on the eyelid and use the darker colors on the outer third of the eyelid and in the upper crease for contouring.
– Using your black gel eyeliner, draw a generous line over your eyelashes and extend slightly beyond the upper lid to give length to the eye.
– Apply false eyelashes if desired (falsies are a big part of her look, so if you are going the whole way, don’t skip this step). Curl lashes and apply your favorite mascara (mine is Diorshow Mascara by Christian Dior).
– Amrita’s lip colors are neutral and conservative; to get her Indian bridal lips, apply a neutral pink lipstick like MAC Lipstick in Modesty (fitting name, right?), or for a darker lip, apply MAC Lipstick in Viva Glam VI, a “terracotta-plum” shade.
“Vivah” is one of my favorite films; I’ve seen it a million times and recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about traditional Indian culture. Check out the adorable song below; the entire movie is also available on Youtube with English subs.