I came across an article on Fashionista.com a while ago that really stuck with me and provided me with some helpful tips! Fashionista was seeking to figure out whether or not it’s hygenic to apply eyeliner to the inner rims of your eyes (we’ll call them your waterlines). I don’t usually line my waterline, but I know a ton of people who do this every day. They asked an unnamed dermatologist and makeup artist Susmta Patel (of Clinique, Sheseido, and Bollywood fame) and came up with the following results (paraphrased by me for your easy reading!)
First things first, anytime your putting something in your waterline, you’re putting yourself at a higher risk of infection (makes sense, right?) That being said, there are some pretty simple precautions you can take to bring that risk down.
1. Sharpen your pencil before every use to decrease the chances that bacteria might be hanging around. If you don’t want to waste any product, I’d recommend spraying some alcohol on your pencil to kill the germs. You can get a little spray bottle at target for around a dollar. This also applies to non-pencil liners – keep your gel liner brush clean!
2. Never share mascara or eye liner. More people = more germs!
3. Change your Mascara and eyeliner every 6 months. Products have a shelf life and the longer you keep a product around the more icky stuff has a chance to get in and set up house.
4. Be careful when going to professional makeup artists. Ask them to sharpen their pencils and sanitize all their products and tools. Have them use a disposable mascara wand or bring your own mascara. You never know who else they’ve used their products on! This also applies to stores like Sephora, be careful when you sample products! In fact, after reading about this study, I never, ever sample stuff in store anymore. Simply buy a new one, try it, and if you don’t like it, return it!
5. When you line your waterline, use KOHL. Kohl has been around forever and is incredibly safe! Susmta Patel’s favorite kohl eyeliner is Dr. Hauschka’s Kajal, $17.95. There are tons of great kohl options out there, so there’s no excuse to not switching to that for your rims!
So, there you have it! A few steps and you can continue wearing eyeliner on your waterline with fewer worries!
*to read Fashionista’s full article, click here!