Penelope Cruz isn’t Asian, but her dark eyes, dark hair, and olive skin tone make her very Asian-relatable. She looked absolutely stunning on the cover the U.S. Vogue’s June edition rocking a very natural-yet-totally-sexy makeup look. This is the perfect look for a sexy summer date night or girls night. I can just imagine wearing this makeup on a sultry summer night, sitting outside and sipping on a mojito while hanging out with friends. Summertime perfection. So, without further ado, my interpretation of Penelope Cruz’ gorgeous makeup look!
– Apply moisturizer and sunscreen as usual. This is a really natural look and we want all the natural aspects of the skin to show (like Penelope’s adorable freckles!) so only use concealer if you absolutely feel you have to.
– Apply a tinted moisturizer or a very light foundation (MAC Face and Body Foundation).
– This is a very matte look so gently dust your face with a translucent loose powder (Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder) to get rid of any shine.
– Suck in your cheeks and apply a brown, low-shimmer bronzer below your cheekbones (Nars Bronzer in Laguna- I know the description says brown with golden shimmer, but trust me it’s very low shimmer).
– Lightly apply a light brown eyeshadow with the slightest (slightest) tint of red (MAC Eyeshadow in Brown Script) on your entire eyelid, from lash line to crease.
– Line your upper eye lid and half your bottom lid, from the outside corner to slightly past the halfway mark of your eye, with a kohl eyeliner (MAC Eye Kohl in Costa Riche). Slightly smudge with your fingers. Make sure you line your bottom lid, not your bottom water line.
– Take an angled brush (MAC 263 Small Angle Brush) and draw a thicker line along 3/4 of the upper lid, from the outside corner to a little bit before the inner corner, with a dark brown or very dark plum eyeshadow (MAC Eyeshadow in Handwritten or Shadowy Lady). Also draw a line with the same eyeshadow along half of your bottom lid, from the outside corner to the halfway point of your eye. Finally, create a slight wing with eyeshadow at the outside corner of your eye.
– Curl your eyelashes and apply a natural looking, thickening black mascara (Lancome Hypnose Mascara). Remember to apply mascara to your bottom lashes (try Clinique’s Bottom Lash mascara for easy bottom lash mascara application).
– Fill in your eyebrows with a dark brown eyebrow filler (MAC Eye Brows in Stud). Rub your finger along your brows or brush them out with a brow brush to make your brows seem more natural.
– Apply a brownish-pink matte lip color (Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Bahama). For a longer lasting lip look, line your lips before applying the lip color with a similar-colored lip liner (Nars Lipliner Pencil in Borneo).
Penelope’s hair was styled for this shoot by famous celebrity and high fashion hairstylist Oribe, who shared his technique with Hollywood Life. Here are his directions:
– “Start off with wet or dry hair — whichever you prefer. Turn your head upside-down, and give your hair a good misting with beach styling spray that will impart moisture, separation and shine.” JA suggestion: try celebrity and fashionista favorite Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray.
– “Throw your hair back, and lightly spray on more beach spray, or apply a lightweight styling cream like my Creme for Style.”
– “Work through your hair with your hands to enhance natural texture.”
Please let us know via email, Twitter, or comments if there are any other looks you’d like us to break down, we’d be more than happy to oblige!
* read the full Hollywood Life article, by Eden Univer here. Pictures of Penelope from Hollywood Life and Sina.com.