Dr. Mehmet Oz had fitness trainer and author Jorge Cruise on his show (“The Dr. Oz Show”) to discuss ways you can jumpstart your energy every day in simple ways. Here are his five ways to boost energy in under five minutes:
1. Morning Skinny Microwave Muffin: Make this quickie muffin-breakfast in a coffee mug!
In a coffee mug, add:
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 packet of stevia (natural sugar-replacement sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Stir nicely with a fork and microwave for 50-55 seconds. The muffin will rise in the mug. Slip it out when it’s done onto a plate, top with just a touch of butter, and enjoy! The goal for maximizing energy and health is to eat under 15 grams of sugar every day— and this breakfast has zero sugar, and is filled with nutritious vitamins and minerals, along with protein and omega-3s!
2. Sip citrus throughout the day with this delicious lemon-limeade recipe. Even the smell of Vitamin C stimulates alertness in the body! This drink is nutritious, yummy, and provides mental and physical stimulation.
- 4 lemons
- 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon stevia
- Fresh mint (to taste)
3. Use natural blue light for renewed energy! Purchase daylight-simulating lights from the store, only around $6. These blue light bulbs simulate the light of the outdoors. They are also famous for enhancing mood and beating winter blues.
4. Try alpha lipoic acid (ALA) supplements. Consume 200-400 mg/day in the morning; ALA helps cells metabolize energy more effectively. You can find ALA for around $15 online or at health food stores.
5. Try the superman stability pose. Assume the “plank” position on the floor. Lift one arm, keeping it straight in front of you (similar to the famous flying Superman pose). Hold the position for one minute, lower the arm, and raise the other arm. Hold for one minute. Get to your feet, and feel the energy pulsing through your arms, core, and back! The superman stability pose is great for promoting good posture throughout the day.